To register for the
New Zealand Certificate in Pest Operation (Level 3) (Urban Pest Control),
please contact CSL/Ascend Training to Register on:
Or register here.

UPM Qualifications and Unit Standard requirements to provide Urban Pest Management Services in NZ

In December 2017 new legislation  was passed by WorkSafe and EPA detailing the the new requirements for handling of Class 6 (not normally used in Urban Pest Management (UPM) today) and Class 9 Urban Pest Management Pesticides. These are the mainstream pesticides used by most Urban Pest Managers.
The old Approved Handler Certificate has been retired.
It is replaced effective from 1 December 2017 by a two pieces of legislation.
1. For Class 6 Pesticides, under Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017;
2. For Class 9 Pesticides under Hazardous Substances (Hazardous Property Controls) Notice 2017

For Class 9 pesticides used in UPM (to see full EPA Notice follow link below):
Hazardous Substances (Hazardous Property Controls) Notice 2017

Clause 65 from the Notice says:
Qualifications for a contractor using substance in urban pest management

A contractor must not handle or apply the substance unless the contractor is a qualified  UPM contractor.

A qualified UPM contractor must provide evidence of their qualifications upon request by an enforcement officer.
A qualified UPM contractor means a contractor who, with respect to Table 3 (below):
(a)      holds the qualification specified in row A or B; or
(b)      has been credited with all of the units or unit standards specified in row D
NOTE: Row C is no longer available.

NOTE: Clause 65 applies to--
(a)      a class 9.1A, 9.2A, 9.3A, or 9.4A substance used in urban pest management (UPM) or
(b)      a substance listed in 
Table 3 in Schedule 9 of the notice
How long can our current pest controllers who hold approved handlers continue to do Pest Control without completing the training outlined in table 3 - Schedule 9 (A or B or all units of either C or D).
Example 1: A pest controller whose approved handler expires at the end February 2019, can continue to do Pest Control without doing the training in Table 3 of Schedule 9 until 31st Dec 2019, and without extending or re-applying for their approved handler, as 31 December 2019, is the later of the applicable dates.
Example 2: A pest controller who's approved handler that expires in January 2021 can continue to do Pest Control without doing the training in Table 3 of Schedule 9 until the end of January 2021, as this is the later of the applicable dates.
Do all Pest controllers need to do the further training outline in Table 3 - Schedule 9 or only some of them? 
For the most part all pest controllers should do further training, but the Notice does allow for new trainees into the industry to carry out Pest Control work under supervision of a Qualified Urban Pest Contractor as follows:
The notice states “a pest controller must not handle or apply the substance unless the contractor is a qualified UPM contractor.
However, a contractor other than a qualified UPM contractor may handle or apply the substance if a qualified UPM contractor:
(a) has provided guidance to the contractor in respect of the application of the substance at the place; and
(b) is available at all times to provide assistance, if necessary, to the contractor while the substance is being applied by the contractor.

This exception allows a non-qualified pest control worker to handle or apply UPM substances, but only if a Qualified UPM contractor has done a Risk Assessment and set them up on a job, walked through the application and most importantly advised the worker what substance is to be used during that specific application and at that site, AND then remains available at all times to provide assistance (if necessary) during the time the substance is being applied at that site by the non-qualified UPM contractor.
This, provided that a PCBU under the HSWA Act 4.5 Information, Training and Instruction, 
ensures that every worker who uses, handles, manufactures, or stores a hazardous substance (including hazardous waste) is, before the worker is allowed to carry out or supervise work involving those substances, provided with information, training and instruction. And a  record of training and instruction provided to each worker MUST be kept, and made available to inspectors or compliance certifiers.

This could mean; either the qualified UPM contractor remains onsite to supervise OR can leave the site, but only if they remain contactable by phone at all times if they need to be contacted.
Therefore, at the very minimum a pest control business need only have one Qualified UPM contractor, they alone can handle or apply UPM substances themselves.

Does the qualified UPM contractor (if only putting 1 person through the official training in Table 3 of Schedule 9), have to also be the owner of the business and/or the PCBU, or can they just be an employee?  
(Example: in a company the owner is not a Pest controller , but works in the office and the senior pest controller who has the UPM Level 3 qualification is just an employee and is not a director or owner of the business)
Yes, it can be any employee – this has nothing to do with the PCBU – although the PCBU is still ultimately responsible for all Health and Safety at the company

New Staff (after Dec 2017, who do not already have any form of approved handler): Do I need to have them attain a certified handler test certificate first, and before they are able to apply UPM substances (under the supervision of a qualified UPM contractor as per the answer outlined in my question 2 above?) OR as long as the answer in my question 2 is followed the new hire doesn't require other certification of any kind?  
Unless Class 6 substances are going to be used a Certified Handler Certificate is not required, however all staff working with hazardous substances must be trained under Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017, section 4.5
From 1 June 2018, the new regulation came into force that means you must now keep a record of all of the information, training and instruction you give your workers about hazardous substances. 

Training and supervising your workers working with hazardous substances is really important, so that they can do their job safely.
Workers need information and training, as well as practical supervised experience, on:
  • the health risks and safety issues of the hazardous substances they work with
  • how to safely use, handle, manufacture, store and dispose of the substances they work with
  • the safe use of equipment, including personal protective equipment
  • their responsibilities and actions to take in an emergency.
You’ll need to provide evidence of training including records to an inspector or a compliance certifier if asked.
Are non-qualified UPM contractors able to just continue to do baiting (either rodent baiting and/or Ant or cockroach gel baiting) only, and without having to complete the further training in table 3 of schedule 9 or be supervised by a qualified UPM contractor? . . . or what is the determining factors there, and if the answer is yes, would they need a certified handler certificate? 
Please refer to the answer in four above.
That applies to all hazardous substances including rodenticides and Ant and Cockroach Gels and Baits. So, whilst no certified handler certificate or qualification is required to use the substances referred to, training must still be carried out and documented as required by the Act.

What is required for a pest control contractor to become a member of PMANZ? 
There are three categories of personal membership:
1) Master Registered Technician:
A Master Registered Technician of PMANZ has attained the National Certificate in Urban Pest Management (Level 2) (or equivalent) or New Zealand Certificate in Pest Operations (Level 3) (Urban Pest Control), hold current Public Liability Insurance, and a Health & Safety Policy in place.
2) Registered Technician:
A Registered Technician of PMANZ has been accredited with the four (4) core Unit Standards of New Zealand Certificate in Pest Operations (Level 3) (Urban Pest Control), or the three (3) core Unit Standards  from the Australian Pest Management Qualification “CPP30915 Certificate III in Pest Management”, and holds current Public Liability Insurance, and a Health & Safety Policy in place.
       Membership Entitlements
        Membership entitles the Master or Registered Technician to:
  1. Attend training seminars
  2. Vote at association meetings
  3. Stand for Executive Council (Only Master Technicians may stand for President or Vice President)
3) Trainee (Master Technician):
Trainee Technicians are those members currently studying towards their New Zealand Certificate in Pest Operations (Level 3) (Urban Pest Control). They must be able to show mentorship and training records from a recognised assessor or qualified pest manager, and also hold a current Public Liability Insurance and Health & Safety Policy in place (or their employer must have these)
Training Members are not entitled to vote at meetings or use our logo in their advertising, but will be able to identify themselves with current photo ID badge, which will show our logo and the expiry date of their registration as a Trainee Technician.
What is required for a company to become a member of PMANZ? 
Company Members:
A company who undertakes Pest Control work as a regular part of their business may join as a Company member.  They are entitled to a vote at meetings.  Company members must employ at least one current Master or Registered Technician.

How much does it cost to become a member of PMANZ (both for just 1 person and also cost for a company to become a member of PMANZ)?  
Annual Membership Fees (excluding GST):
Master & Registered Technician         $295.00
Trainee Membership:                            free of charge until qualified then full fees apply
Company & Associate Membership: $295.00
 What does being a member of PMANZ offer/open up to us? 
The Association was formed in 1976 to raise the standards within the industry and to protect its members' interests.  It is recognised as the voice of the industry.  We work with many governmental agencies to promote and ensure that the needs of our members and community are always put first.
By employing a PMANZ Master or Registered Technician, members of the public are assured of a qualified professional service which has met our strict membership criteria.   They don’t need to ask you the questions as membership provide them with surety of your high standards, therefore passing the first hurdle for obtaining clients.
PMANZ also hold regular training roadshows that are not aligned to any organisation and are designed to educate and promote best practice in our industry.  These are run by pest managers for pest managers.  There is a biennial conference which PMANZ executive work to reduce the cost via sponsorship.  Speakers at the conferences are well known experts in their field.